Interested in home birth? Contact A Sacred Journey Midwifery Services and set up your complimentary consultation. I strongly encourage both you and your partner to attend this consultation so you both have the opportunity to meet me, get to know me and the way I practice, and ask any questions you all have. Consultations are typically about an hour in length.
A Sacred Journey Midwifery Services believes in the Midwifery Model of Care. Prenatal appointments are located in my office in Tomball, Texas and are interactive and personal. You will not be forced to wait for hours for your appointment, nor will you feel rushed. Appointments are scheduled for an hour each time. Each appointment includes assessing the fetal heart rate and the mother’s blood pressure, pulse, weight, urinalysis, fundal height measurement, fetal positioning, edema, emotional status, nutrition, discomforts and remedies as well as a time for education and questions. Referral for labs and ultrasounds are given. First time moms and moms seeking a vaginal birth after cesarean are welcome. Patients have access to my lending library, as well as after hours contact to me by phone, text or email.
- Every 4 weeks until 28 weeks.
- Every 2 weeks from 28 weeks until 36 weeks.
- Home visit done at 37 weeks.
- Weekly appointments from 37 weeks until delivery.
- Home visit(s) done in the first week postpartum.
- Postpartum appointments in office at 2 weeks and 6 weeks postpartum.
I host a monthly group prenatal for all patients. Each group prenatal consists of a teaching topic such as comfort measures, optimal fetal positioning, breastfeeding, et cetera as well as a past patient coming to share her home birth story. It is a wonderful time to meet other home birth mamas!
- labor and birth in the comfort of your own home
- birthing pool available for your use if water birth is desired
- freedom to eat and drink and move around as you please
- doulas welcome and encouraged
- birth photography welcome (I recommend Bump 2 Baby Birth Photography)
- cervical checks done only as indicated or desired
- fetal heart rate monitored regularly and intermittently by the use of doppler
- blood pressure, temperature and pulse assessed on mom regularly
- mom or dad free to catch baby if desired
- Midwife transports with patient if transport to hospital becomes desired or necessary
- Baby is placed directly onto mom’s chest after delivery
- Calm, peaceful environment
- Bonding encouraged
- One and five minute APGAR scores
- Breastfeeding as soon as mom and baby are ready encouraged
- Breastfeeding help if needed
- Full newborn assessment done, including weight and measurements
- Suturing done if needed
- Delayed cord clamping
- Herbal bath drawn up for mom and baby if desired
- Vitamin K injection and erythromycin ointment available if desired
- Midwife stays for 3-5 hours
- Placenta taken to encapsulator if desired
- Evaluation of mom’s physical recovery, as well as emotional well being
- Evaluating newborn
- Breastfeeding evaluation and assistance if needed
- Newborn screens done at home visit and 2 week appointment if desired
- Birth certificate filed by midwife within 5 days of birth
- Referrals for hearing exam given
- Pap smear at 6-8 weeks postpartum if desired