- Apprentice Led Care can be a win win for the midwifery team and you, the patient. You get amazing and personalized care while a senior student gets the experience and opportunity they need, and I get to fulfill my wish to share my knowledge and teach future midwives to my high standards.Sacred Journey has decided to include a new service that aligns with our values, and offers many benefits to you the patient.The visit schedule will be the same, every four weeks once you enter care, every two weeks starting at 28 weeks, and every week after 36 weeks. One postpartum visit in home at 2 days, then in office at 2 weeks and then 6 weeks.I attend all your care, am always physically present while my senior student provides the care under my watchful but gracious eye (somewhere between fly on a wall and the laser focus of the hawks scrutiny!). When communicating not in office, we will utilize a three way text with my senior student answering questions, and I will jump in if a correction or additional information is required.At your birth I will be a few steps away during delivery, close enough if needed, but far enough away to not be a back seat driver!How you will know if this style care is a fit~
- You are confident in birth,
- Have had a prior vaginal birth
- Are called to help the next wave of midwives get experience
- Want midwifery care but can’t afford the full rate
Interested in having a senior student be your midwife under supervision? Contact us today for more information!
- Interested in becoming a doula? Sign up for this three day training to start the process in your doula journey! Contact us for more information.
Upcoming Doula Training Dates
Training consists of all the basics to get started in doula work from what the doula role is, how to work with other providers, how to start your business, what to do in your meetings with your clients, comfort measures and positioning techniques and so much more! Snacks and drinks are provided during the three day training.
Certification is possible after attending the training. Email me for more information!
- Saturday, January 5th, 2019 from 930-430 Day 1 of 3
- Saturday, February 2nd, 2019 from 930-430 Day 2 of 3
- Saturday, April 6th, 2019 from 930-430 Day 3 of 3
- Saturday, May 4th, 2019 from 930-430 Day 1 of 3
- Saturday, June 1st, 2019 from 930-430 Day 2 of 3
- Saturday, July 6th, 2019 from 930-430 Day 3 of 3
- Saturday, August 3rd, 2019 from 930-430 Day 1 of 3
- Saturday, September 14th, 2019 from 930-430 Day 2 of 3
- Saturday, October 12th, 2019 from 930-430 Day 3 of 3
- Saturday, November 2nd, 2019 from 930-430 Day 1 of 3
Live outside the Houston, Texas area and desire one of our Doula Trainings? Contact us and we can schedule to come to you!
“I walked in the door to Shannon’s training after a week of exhausting Doula experiences. I thought, this weekend is surely to rub in my face everything I did wrong, and boy did she prove me incorrect. Shannon is a joy to listen to. She has so many courage-building, client-care-comes-first perspectives to Doulaing. I felt rejuvenated and ready to continue working on my certification after her class. There were plenty of things she brought to the table and I felt prepared to support birth in ways that I didn’t even know possible after a birthing seminar at a hospital. She brings a very humble, human and empowering approach to giving and serving alongside women who may know nothing about their bodies or have everything planned down to the last second. I would highly recommend learning Doulaing from Shannon. Every drop of her class is gold. Well planned and well executed as well as fun. She answers every question and invites others along to share their expertise, and fully supports her trainees no matter how long their certification might take on their own schedule. Don’t miss this training! It’s worth every dime.” -D. Moore
“I loved the doula training with Shannon! She is so kind and so knowledgeable and you can tell she is very passionate about her job. After the training was over, I left feeling confident in my abilities to help mamas in labor. Even after class, she has so supportive, I have contacted her with advice/concerns and she quickly got back to me and answered all my questions. The food was supper yummy too.” -S. Tyler
Doulas Certified Through A Sacred Journey Doula Training
Interested in home birth? Contact A Sacred Journey Midwifery Services and set up your complimentary consultation. I strongly encourage both you and your partner to attend this consultation so you both have the opportunity to meet me, get to know me and the way I practice, and ask any questions you all have. Consultations are typically about an hour in length.
A Sacred Journey Midwifery Services believes in the Midwifery Model of Care. Prenatal appointments are located in my office in Tomball, Texas and are interactive and personal. You will not be forced to wait for hours for your appointment, nor will you feel rushed. Appointments are scheduled for an hour each time. Each appointment includes assessing the fetal heart rate and the mother’s blood pressure, pulse, weight, urinalysis, fundal height measurement, fetal positioning, edema, emotional status, nutrition, discomforts and remedies as well as a time for education and questions. Referral for labs and ultrasounds are given. First time moms and moms seeking a vaginal birth after cesarean are welcome. Patients have access to my lending library, as well as after hours contact to me by phone, text or email.
- Every 4 weeks until 28 weeks.
- Every 2 weeks from 28 weeks until 36 weeks.
- Home visit done at 37 weeks.
- Weekly appointments from 37 weeks until delivery.
- Home visit(s) done in the first week postpartum.
- Postpartum appointments in office at 2 weeks and 6 weeks postpartum.
I host a monthly group prenatal for all patients. Each group prenatal consists of a teaching topic such as comfort measures, optimal fetal positioning, breastfeeding, et cetera as well as a past patient coming to share her home birth story. It is a wonderful time to meet other home birth mamas!
- labor and birth in the comfort of your own home
- birthing pool available for your use if water birth is desired
- freedom to eat and drink and move around as you please
- doulas welcome and encouraged
- birth photography welcome (I recommend Bump 2 Baby Birth Photography)
- cervical checks done only as indicated or desired
- fetal heart rate monitored regularly and intermittently by the use of doppler
- blood pressure, temperature and pulse assessed on mom regularly
- mom or dad free to catch baby if desired
- Midwife transports with patient if transport to hospital becomes desired or necessary
- Baby is placed directly onto mom’s chest after delivery
- Calm, peaceful environment
- Bonding encouraged
- One and five minute APGAR scores
- Breastfeeding as soon as mom and baby are ready encouraged
- Breastfeeding help if needed
- Full newborn assessment done, including weight and measurements
- Suturing done if needed
- Delayed cord clamping
- Herbal bath drawn up for mom and baby if desired
- Vitamin K injection and erythromycin ointment available if desired
- Midwife stays for 3-5 hours
- Placenta taken to encapsulator if desired
- Evaluation of mom’s physical recovery, as well as emotional well being
- Evaluating newborn
- Breastfeeding evaluation and assistance if needed
- Newborn screens done at home visit and 2 week appointment if desired
- Birth certificate filed by midwife within 5 days of birth
- Referrals for hearing exam given
- Pap smear at 6-8 weeks postpartum if desired
- Please print the documents here to bring to your appointment.A Sacred Journey Midwifery Services Contract (108 downloads)
VBAC Waiver (72 downloads)
Testing Permission and Waiver Form (71 downloads)
Records Release (67 downloads)
Maternity Risk Assessment Tool-1 (58 downloads)
Informed Consent (65 downloads)
HIPPA Form (59 downloads)
DSHS Brochures Paper (61 downloads)
Birth Certificate Worksheet (71 downloads)
- Documentation of Information Texas Law Requires Pregnant Women Receive Publications on the DSHS Website
- If You Are Pregnant or Think You May Be Pregnant, You Need To Know about HIV
- Pregnant? Protect Your Baby From Syphilis
- Pregnant? Protect Your Baby From Hepatitis B
- Pregnant? Protect Your Baby From Rubella
- Information for Parents of Newborn Children
- Mental Health, How to Get Help
- Information on Umbilical Cord Banking
- A Parent’s Guide to Raising Healthy, Happy Children
- Guidelines for Vaccinating Pregnant Women, including Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (Tdap); & Tetanus and Diphtheria (Td)
- HIV Testing and Pregnancy
- Information on the Newborn Screen
- Texas Early Hearing Detection Intervention
- Vitamin K for the Newborn
- Drinking and Your Pregnancy
- Prevent Pertussis (from CDC)
- Heat stroke
- Dangers of Cytomegalovirus (CMV)
- Down Syndrome
- CCHD Brochure
“THE GREATEST JOY IS TO BECOME A MOTHER; THE SECOND GREATEST IS TO BE A MIDWIFE.” NORWEGIAN PROVERB