All photos have been taken by Immaculate Heart Photography.

L and M started care with me in the first trimester of their fifth pregnancy.  L was my first client to use my services three previous times, which is so special to me!  You can read about her three previous home birth journeys here, here, and here.

L’s pregnancy progressed along with no issues.  L came to her appointment at 39.4 weeks desiring an exam and a membrane sweep to see if it would jump start labor.  L was 1cm dilated, 80% effaced, and baby at a 0 station.  I swept her membranes, and we waited to see what would happen.

Sure enough, the sweep kicked things into gear, and by that evening, L was beginning to experience contractions.  They were mild in the evening, and I decided I would lie down since it seemed like L would most likely be calling sometime in the evening.

30 minutes after lying down, L sent a text saying the contractions were changing, and she wanted me to come.  Since my little one was still in the newborn phase, I was still bringing her to deliveries.  I alerted my birth team so they could start heading my way, while I prepared my baby for leaving the house.

We arrived at L’s home at 12:20am, and found her standing in her bedroom, leaning over the birth ball during contractions. L was very focused when having a contraction, and able to chat with everyone in between.  We did vitals, and began to set things up for delivery.

I did an exam at 12:50am, and found L to be 5cm dilated, 90% effaced, and baby at a 0 station.

After the exam, L moved to laying on her right side, praying her rosary and resting between contractions.

After resting, L moved around between laboring on the toilet, sitting on the bed, and leaning over the birth ball when standing.  Contractions were intensifying, and L was beginning to shake and moan with contractions.

L requested an exam as 3am neared.  She was now 7cm dilated, 100% effaced, and baby at a +1 station.  She was encouraged with the progress, and moved to the toilet for a few contractions.

We made sure the pool temperature was good, and L got into the birth pool at 3:12am, sitting in the water.  She was so poised as she labored, and told the team that she was beginning to feel the beginnings of rectal pressure with contractions at 3:30am.

L alternated to kneeling in the birth pool as the 4am hour neared. She got out of the pool to labor on the toilet for a few contractions.  She returned to the pool at 4:24am, stating to the team that she was feeling so much pressure now with contractions.

At 4:40am, L was beginning to get grunty at the peak of contractions.  She listened beautifully to her body as she worked hard, allowing her body to move her sweet baby down.

L’s water broke at 5:01am, and L began to spontaneously push upon its rupture. The head was crowning at 5:03am, followed by the baby at 5:04am.  I brought baby up right into her mama’s waiting arms!  She was here!

Like L always does, postpartum is a breeze.  She feels great and barely bleeds!  I like to tell L that she was meant to have babies!  She does it so well, and heals so efficiently!

Welcome to the world, Gianna!  Born earth side on July 11th, 2018 at 5:04am, weighing in at 7lbs 6ozs, 19.25″ long.  Her siblings were so very excited to wake up that morning and find their baby sister had been born.  Watching the kiddos reactions was precious.

Bonus photo:  L’s good friend J had also had a baby, so we had to do a picture with all three baby’s that were present after Gianna made her presence earth side.  It was sweet having so many littles present, and the baby’s (all girls!) did great!