T and J started care with me in the first trimester of their second pregnancy.  T had previously had a home birth, but this was her first time with us.

T’s pregnancy progressed along fairly uneventfully.  In the last weeks of pregnancy, her blood pressure became borderline high.  Chiropractic care helped keep her blood pressure under control.

T requested a membrane sweep to see if she would go into labor at 38 weeks, but baby was not ready and it left her with an irritated uterus.  At her last exam during the sweep, she was 3cm dilated, 50% effaced, and baby was at a -2 station.

On September 8, 2019, T sent me a text in the middle of the night to let me know her water had broken at 212am.  She had woke to empty her bladder, and was surprised by her bag breaking on the side of her bed.  T said baby was moving well and there was no contractions.  We talked about T sleeping as long as she could sleep.

Contractions began at 330am.  T could not rest any longer once they began.  T was working through them at home.  A little after 4am, we talked about T trying a bath to see how a bath made her feel.

I received a text that T was ready for us at 450am.  She was out of the bath, and contractions were hard and coming every 2-4 minutes.  I did not know that J was now texting, which would have probably alerted us all to move super fast.

I got things together, and headed out about 510am.  I was taking an exit off the highway towards T and J when their photographer sent me a message saying she was feeling pushy.  J called the wrong person, and so she relayed the message to me.  I sped away to get their faster, but the fog in the country was a rough combo!

I pulled in, grabbed the two most urgent bags for imminent delivery, and ran to the door, only to find that the front door was locked and I could not get in.  I knocked, while quickly shifting things around to find my phone.  Just as I was about to call, J was calling to let me know the baby was here.  He rapidly came and let me in.

I walked in and found T standing in the hot birth pool, holding her sweet baby in her arms while making a phone call simultaneously.  I do not think I have ever had anyone start using their phone so fast.  Tucker was crying nice and loud, making sure we all knew how he felt about his fast and furious journey!

Welcome to the world, Tucker!  Born earthside on September 8th, 2019 at 530am, weighing 7lbs 10ozs and 20.75 inches long.  He took his mama on such a quick labor journey.  I told T she will have much different instructions on when to reach out to us in labor if their is a third baby!


Photos taken by Stephanie Shirley Photography.