H and D started care with me in the first trimester of their first pregnancy.  H had a great pregnancy, and it was fun watching her get closer to her estimated due date and birthing time.

Two days passed her due date, H woke with contractions, cramping, and bloody show.  She had an appointment scheduled with me that day so we decided she should keep it.  H was experiencing contractions q2-3 minutes, lasting 30 seconds and seemed to be mild in intensity.  I did an exam and found H to be 1-2 cm dilated, 80% effaced, and baby at a -1 station.  I gave her some herbs to drink, and recommended she eat and go for a walk and keep in touch with me.

H sent me regular updates.  At 6pm, contractions became 2 minutes apart, lasting 60 seconds long.  By 7pm, she decided she wanted her team to come to her and start prepping for her birthing time.

I arrived at 745pm and found H laboring on the couch, snuggled next to D.  I suggested getting a walk in since the sun was setting, so we set out for a walk to see how the contractions felt while walking.

After the walk, H came in and sat on the toilet to labor for a few contractions.  I did her vitals and found everything to be perfect.  I suggest a set of lift and tucks that my apprentice with A performed to help make the contractions stronger.

At 915pm, H wanted to try a small nap with D.  I got her positioned on her left side, and recommended napping for an hour or so before getting up and working.

Contractions intensified during the rest period alone.  An hour later, H was feeling more vocal with her contractions, and her MIL was performing hip squeezes for some relief.

I did an exam at 11pm, and found H to be 3cm dilated, 100% effaced, and baby at a 0 station.  There was bloody show on my glove.

H labored in the shower for a few contractions, then moved to the bed into open knee chest per my recommendations.  H was having a hard time, so we started using some essential oils to help emotionally and did some herbs to help calm.

As midnight came, H labored beside her bed while I did hip squeezes for relief.  Her contractions were coming every 1.5-2 minutes, lasting 60-75 seconds and stronger in intensity.

H got into the birth pool at 1am.  It helped take the edge off the intensity initially.  H looked at us and exclaimed, “I know why people cuss!”

D got into the pool after awhile.  H looked at me and asked him to knock her out.  He told her it was illegal, and she looked at him and said she wouldn’t tell.  We all laughed at her humor!

H got out of the pool close to 3am, and prepared for an exam.  She was now 5cm dilated, 100% effaced, and baby at a 0 station.  Baby was acynclitic, and putting a lot of pressure on her pubic bone.

H got back into the pool and rotated between sitting and kneeling while getting comfortable.  D assisted doing lift and tuck for 10 contractions while in the pool to help baby rotate.

I began to give H rescue remedy to help relax and calm.  The intensity of active labor and being tired was making things a struggle.  We all surrounded her with encouragement that she was doing perfectly and that she could do this.

H moved to laboring in the bathroom at 4am, standing while leaning on the counter.  She was feeling so tired.  Contractions were coming every 2.5-3 minutes, lasting 60 seconds.  H decided she wanted to try to rest, so I helped position her on her right side in the bed.

H found it hard to rest, and was laboring on the toilet before 5am.  We got her to snack on some apple sauce to help with energy.  H leaned over the counter top again.  I recommended H try some other positions, as forward leaning positions would not be the most productive positions based on baby’s position. After some time, H agreed to let my apprentice A do another set of lift and tucks.

As 6am neared, H labored leaning on her bed, wanting counter pressure.  She felt the contractions were much stronger.  I provided counter pressure with contractions.

I started reminding H that it would be time for an exam after 7am to make sure things were moving in the right direction, and that baby had rotated.  H was weepy and exhausted, and feeling so done.  We all tried to encourage H how brave and strong she was, but H was ready to transport.  I left H and D to talk.

At 7am, they made the decision to transport.  We had a transport plan in place with a provider at the nearby hospital in case a transport was needed.  I called the provider, and she agreed to meet us at the hospital in 45 minutes.

We arrived at the hospital at 740am, and they quickly gave her a dose of fentanyl to take the edge off while getting things started.

H moved to laboring on the birth ball at 815am.  The hospital provider arrived at 820am, and came and greeted H.

While waiting for anesthesia, the other provider pulled out essential oils to diffuse and gave H a back rub to help comfort.

H received her epidural at 915am, and she was happy to have some relief from the pain.  At 947am, she was positioned in the bed with a peanut ball to help labor progress.

H was checked at 10am, and was 6cm and 100% effaced, and her water was broken to help move things along.  Pitocin was started soon after.

H began to sleep and get some much deserved rest.

She began pushing after 1pm.  It took some work, but she heroically pushed her sweet baby boy into the world at 311pm into daddy’s waiting hands!

Welcome to the world Wesson, born earthside on September 2nd, 2017 at 311pm, weighing in at 8lbs 8ozs, 20.75″ long.  It was such a blessing to have been part of this couple’s journey.