At Sacred Journey Midwifery, we offer the newborn hearing screenings that are recommended to be done to all newborns over 24 hours old for our clients and the community.
The method we provide is the Otoacoustic Emissions (OAE) method. This is where we position a tiny probe into the newborn’s ear canal, and measures the response when tones are played into the ear.
Why is this important?
1 to 3 out of 1,000 babies have a hearing issue, and intervention as early as possible helps get the assistance needed to make a big difference in hearing and communication.
Babies will respond to loud noises, but this does not ensure they can hear properly.
Hearing loss actually occurs more frequently than any of the diseases we screen babies for on the newborn metabolic screenings.
Hearing loss can also be associated with other under lying conditions, and may be the first sign of an issue.
If you are a client of ours, this is included in your fee to us.
If you have another provider and need this service, we provide this service for $150 for in office hearing sceenings, and $250 for in home hearing screenings.
Reach out to us if you would like to schedule your newborn’s hearing screen test today!
- Apprentice Led Care can be a win win for the midwifery team and you, the patient. You get amazing and personalized care while a senior student gets the experience and opportunity they need, and I get to fulfill my wish to share my knowledge and teach future midwives to my high standards.Sacred Journey has decided to include a new service that aligns with our values, and offers many benefits to you the patient.The visit schedule will be the same, every four weeks once you enter care, every two weeks starting at 28 weeks, and every week after 36 weeks. One postpartum visit in home at 2 days, then in office at 2 weeks and then 6 weeks.I attend all your care, am always physically present while my senior student provides the care under my watchful but gracious eye (somewhere between fly on a wall and the laser focus of the hawks scrutiny!). When communicating not in office, we will utilize a three way text with my senior student answering questions, and I will jump in if a correction or additional information is required.At your birth I will be a few steps away during delivery, close enough if needed, but far enough away to not be a back seat driver!How you will know if this style care is a fit~
- You are confident in birth,
- Have had a prior vaginal birth
- Are called to help the next wave of midwives get experience
- Want midwifery care but can’t afford the full rate
Interested in having a senior student be your midwife under supervision? Contact us today for more information!
Interested in home birth? Contact A Sacred Journey Midwifery Services and set up your complimentary consultation. I strongly encourage both you and your partner to attend this consultation so you both have the opportunity to meet me, get to know me and the way I practice, and ask any questions you all have. Consultations are typically about an hour in length.
A Sacred Journey Midwifery Services believes in the Midwifery Model of Care. Prenatal appointments are located in my office in Cypress, Texas and are interactive and personal. You will not be forced to wait for hours for your appointment, nor will you feel rushed. Appointments are scheduled for an hour each time. Each appointment includes assessing the fetal heart rate and the mother’s blood pressure, pulse, weight, urinalysis, fundal height measurement, fetal positioning, edema, emotional status, nutrition, discomforts and remedies as well as a time for education and questions. Labs are collected in office, and referral for ultrasounds are given. First time moms and moms seeking a vaginal birth after cesarean are welcome. Patients have access to my lending library, as well as after hours contact to me by phone, text or email.
- Every 4 weeks until 28 weeks.
- Every 2 weeks from 28 weeks until 36 weeks.
- Home visit done at 37 weeks.
- Weekly appointments from 37 weeks until delivery.
- Home visit(s) done in the first week postpartum.
- Postpartum appointments in office at 2 weeks and 6 weeks postpartum.
I host a monthly group prenatal for all patients. Each group prenatal consists of a teaching topic such as comfort measures, optimal fetal positioning, breastfeeding, et cetera as well as a past patient coming to share her home birth story. It is a wonderful time to meet other home birth mamas!
- Labor and birth in the comfort of your own home
- Birthing pool available for your use if water birth is desired
- Freedom to eat and drink and move around as you please
- Doulas are welcome and encouraged (ask me for recommendations)
- Birth photography welcome (ask me for recommendations)
- Cervical checks done only as indicated or desired
- Fetal heart rate monitored regularly and intermittently by the use of doppler
- Blood pressure, temperature and pulse assessed on mom regularly
- Mom or dad free to catch baby if desired
- Midwife and/or apprentice transports with patient if transport to hospital becomes desired or necessary
- The goal of healthy mom and healthy baby while supporting client’s goals is always respected
- Baby is placed directly onto mom’s chest after delivery
- Calm, peaceful environment
- Bonding encouraged
- One and five minute APGAR scores
- Breastfeeding as soon as mom and baby are ready encouraged
- Breastfeeding help if needed
- Full newborn assessment done, including weight and measurements
- Suturing done if needed
- Delayed cord clamping
- Herbal bath drawn up for mom and baby if desired
- Vitamin K injection and erythromycin ointment available if desired
- Midwife stays for 3-5 hours
- Placenta taken to encapsulator if desired
- Evaluation of mom’s physical recovery, as well as emotional well being and support for baby blues and postpartum mental health
- Evaluating newborn at each appointment
- Breastfeeding evaluation and assistance if needed
- Bengkung binding performed if desired
- Birth certificate filed by midwife within 5 days of birth
- Newborn screenings (state Metabolic Screens, CCHD, and Newborn Hearing Screen) complete by midwife
- Pap smear at 6-8 weeks postpartum if desired
- Please print the documents here to bring to your appointment.A Sacred Journey Midwifery Services Contract (316 downloads)
VBAC Waiver (249 downloads)
Testing Permission and Waiver Form (281 downloads)
Records Release (240 downloads)
Maternity Risk Assessment Tool-1 (256 downloads)
Informed Consent (253 downloads)
HIPPA Form (221 downloads)
DSHS Brochures Paper (224 downloads)
Birth Certificate Worksheet (257 downloads)
- Documentation of Information Texas Law Requires Pregnant Women Receive Publications on the DSHS Website
- If You Are Pregnant or Think You May Be Pregnant, You Need To Know about HIV
- Pregnant? Protect Your Baby From Syphilis
- Pregnant? Protect Your Baby From Hepatitis B
- Pregnant? Protect Your Baby From Rubella
- Information for Parents of Newborn Children
- Mental Health, How to Get Help
- Information on Umbilical Cord Banking
- A Parent’s Guide to Raising Healthy, Happy Children
- Guidelines for Vaccinating Pregnant Women, including Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (Tdap); & Tetanus and Diphtheria (Td)
- HIV Testing and Pregnancy
- Information on the Newborn Screen
- Texas Early Hearing Detection Intervention
- Vitamin K for the Newborn
- Drinking and Your Pregnancy
- Prevent Pertussis (from CDC)
- Heat stroke
- Dangers of Cytomegalovirus (CMV)
- Down Syndrome
- CCHD Brochure
“THE GREATEST JOY IS TO BECOME A MOTHER; THE SECOND GREATEST IS TO BE A MIDWIFE.” NORWEGIAN PROVERB